Italian marine`s mother says justice has been done
Rome: The mother of one of the Italian marines facing trial in India for killing two Indian fishermen on Sunday said justice has been done and "everything is fine now".
The marines -- Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone -- face trial in a special Indian court for shooting and killing two Indian fishermen while guarding an Italian oil tanker off the coast of Kerala last February.
India and Italy are engaged in a row after Rome reneged on its commitment to send back the two marines, who were allowed by the Supreme Court on February 22 to go to Italy for four weeks for voting in election.
Massimiliano` mother said "Everything is fine now." She said her son is a soldier and is a "friend of India".
She said she is happy that the two are getting back to their work.
"Our boys are free to do their duty. Justice has been done," she told a news channel.
India is in the process of downgrading its diplomatic ties and decided not to post the Ambassador-designate to Rome who was to assume the charge by next week.
The Indian government had this week announced decision to initiate review of entire gamut of relations with Italy which includes diplomatic, trade and defence ties apart from reaching out to the European Union, which was briefed on India`s views and position in the matter.
The Italian government claims India does not have jurisdiction in the case as the incident took place in international waters.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video