Italian marines move HC for bail
Kochi: Two Italian Marines, arrested for allegedly shooting to death two Indian fishermen off Kerala waters on February 15, on Tuesday moved the Kerala High Court for bail.
The Marines, Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone, contended they have not committed any offence as alleged by police and there was no justification in their remaining in custody.
Justice M K Balakrishnan, before whom the matter came up, directed the petitioners to plead the central government in the case and posted it to May 25.
They have moved the High Court after a Kollam court on May 19 rejected their bail applications observing that releasing them at this juncture might affect the conduct of the case which is set to enter the trial stage.
The naval guards onboard Italian oil tanker `Enrica Lexie` were arrested on February 19 and charged with murder of fishermen Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Binki who took to sea from Neendakara in Kollam.
The accused were in police custody for the first 14 days and remanded to judicial custody since March 5.
Police had last week filed the chargesheet against the marines in the Kollam court charging them with murder and also invoking the International Maritime Law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie