Italian marines return to India
Kochi: Putting an end to all speculations, the two Italian marines, accused of killing two Indian fishermen, returned to India on Friday morning.
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who were allowed to go home for two weeks by the Kerala High Court, came by a special flight for Kochi at 7.50 am, airport sources said.
They will soon leave for Kollam court to surrender their passports.
Counsel for the Italian marines yesterday informed reporters that the two are coming back much earlier than they were asked to report here.
"Since they were able to leave for Italy from here earlier than scheduled, they are coming back early. According to the relaxed bail conditions of the Kerala High Court, they need to report here latest by 3. pm Jan 10," said the counsel.
It was on December 22 that the two marines flew out of Kochi airport after fulfilling all the conditions put up by the High Court, which included a Rs 6-crore bank guarantee and also written assurance from the Italian government that it will ensure that the two return to face trial.
They have been charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Gelastine, February 15, 2012 after mistaking them for pirates.
Among those who opposed their departure and expressed doubts if the two would return included the Communist Party of India-Marxist and other Left parties besides the kin of the killed fishermen and also fishermen organisations here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!