Italian marines return to India
Kochi: Putting an end to all speculations, the two Italian marines, accused of killing two Indian fishermen, returned to India on Friday morning.
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who were allowed to go home for two weeks by the Kerala High Court, came by a special flight for Kochi at 7.50 am, airport sources said.
They will soon leave for Kollam court to surrender their passports.
Counsel for the Italian marines yesterday informed reporters that the two are coming back much earlier than they were asked to report here.
"Since they were able to leave for Italy from here earlier than scheduled, they are coming back early. According to the relaxed bail conditions of the Kerala High Court, they need to report here latest by 3. pm Jan 10," said the counsel.
It was on December 22 that the two marines flew out of Kochi airport after fulfilling all the conditions put up by the High Court, which included a Rs 6-crore bank guarantee and also written assurance from the Italian government that it will ensure that the two return to face trial.
They have been charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Gelastine, February 15, 2012 after mistaking them for pirates.
Among those who opposed their departure and expressed doubts if the two would return included the Communist Party of India-Marxist and other Left parties besides the kin of the killed fishermen and also fishermen organisations here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report