Italian marines return to India
Kochi: Putting an end to all speculations, the two Italian marines, accused of killing two Indian fishermen, returned to India on Friday morning.
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who were allowed to go home for two weeks by the Kerala High Court, came by a special flight for Kochi at 7.50 am, airport sources said.
They will soon leave for Kollam court to surrender their passports.
Counsel for the Italian marines yesterday informed reporters that the two are coming back much earlier than they were asked to report here.
"Since they were able to leave for Italy from here earlier than scheduled, they are coming back early. According to the relaxed bail conditions of the Kerala High Court, they need to report here latest by 3. pm Jan 10," said the counsel.
It was on December 22 that the two marines flew out of Kochi airport after fulfilling all the conditions put up by the High Court, which included a Rs 6-crore bank guarantee and also written assurance from the Italian government that it will ensure that the two return to face trial.
They have been charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Gelastine, February 15, 2012 after mistaking them for pirates.
Among those who opposed their departure and expressed doubts if the two would return included the Communist Party of India-Marxist and other Left parties besides the kin of the killed fishermen and also fishermen organisations here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened