Italian marines return to India
Kochi: Putting an end to all speculations, the two Italian marines, accused of killing two Indian fishermen, returned to India on Friday morning.
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who were allowed to go home for two weeks by the Kerala High Court, came by a special flight for Kochi at 7.50 am, airport sources said.
They will soon leave for Kollam court to surrender their passports.
Counsel for the Italian marines yesterday informed reporters that the two are coming back much earlier than they were asked to report here.
"Since they were able to leave for Italy from here earlier than scheduled, they are coming back early. According to the relaxed bail conditions of the Kerala High Court, they need to report here latest by 3. pm Jan 10," said the counsel.
It was on December 22 that the two marines flew out of Kochi airport after fulfilling all the conditions put up by the High Court, which included a Rs 6-crore bank guarantee and also written assurance from the Italian government that it will ensure that the two return to face trial.
They have been charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Gelastine, February 15, 2012 after mistaking them for pirates.
Among those who opposed their departure and expressed doubts if the two would return included the Communist Party of India-Marxist and other Left parties besides the kin of the killed fishermen and also fishermen organisations here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway