Italian marines row: `SC intervention helped solve issue`
Thiruvananthapuram: The "stern stand" and intervention of the Supreme Court and the Centre helped bring back the two Italian marines charged with killing two Indian fishermen, Defence Minister AK Antony said on Sunday.
"The issue was solved without much problems with the stern stand taken by the Supreme Court and its strong intervention. The Centre also took a similar position leading to the return of marines to face trial here," Antony told reporters here.
The Centre fully supported the feelings of the state government on the issue, he said.
The marines-- Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone--were aboard an Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` when they allegedly shot dead the two fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15 last year.
The two marines returned on Friday last after India gave an assurance that they will not face death penalty nor will they be arrested, bring an end to a raging 11-day diplomatic row between the two countries.
Antony said the recent controversies that plagued the Congress-led UDF government in Kerala should have been avoided.
"If they learn from experiences and correct mistakes, it will be better for the state, UDF government, ruling Front and the Congress," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way