Italian marines row: `SC intervention helped solve issue`
Thiruvananthapuram: The "stern stand" and intervention of the Supreme Court and the Centre helped bring back the two Italian marines charged with killing two Indian fishermen, Defence Minister AK Antony said on Sunday.
"The issue was solved without much problems with the stern stand taken by the Supreme Court and its strong intervention. The Centre also took a similar position leading to the return of marines to face trial here," Antony told reporters here.
The Centre fully supported the feelings of the state government on the issue, he said.
The marines-- Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone--were aboard an Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` when they allegedly shot dead the two fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15 last year.
The two marines returned on Friday last after India gave an assurance that they will not face death penalty nor will they be arrested, bring an end to a raging 11-day diplomatic row between the two countries.
Antony said the recent controversies that plagued the Congress-led UDF government in Kerala should have been avoided.
"If they learn from experiences and correct mistakes, it will be better for the state, UDF government, ruling Front and the Congress," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested