Italian Marines to be tried by Indian law
Singapore: Underlining that it has best of relationship with Italy, Foreign Minister S M Krishna on Friday said that the two Italian marines accused of killing Indian
fishermen will be tried by Indian law.
"It is a question of law of the land and we are hoping that courts will find a solution to this problem," Krishna said on the sidelines of a seminar here organised by the
Singapore-based Institute of South Asian Studies.
India enjoys the best of relationship with the government of Italy, Krishna said.
Krishna`s comments came as Italian Prime Minister held a telephonic conversation with his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh on the politically sensitive issue.
Jelastine and Ajesh Binki, the two fishermen, were allegedly shot dead by the two Italian marine guards off the Kollam coast on February 15, suspecting them to be pirates.
The marines - Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone - are currently in judicial custody in Kerala following their arrest on February 19.
The state and central authorities had rejected Italy`s demand for the case to be tried outside India.
Italian right wing activists have threatened to attack Indian establishments in Italy to protest against the arrest of their nationals in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing