Italian marines will be able to serve jail sentence in Italy
New Delhi: If convicted, the two Italian marines facing murder charges in Kerala will be able to serve rest of their jail term in Italy, once the agreement between India and their country on transfer of sentenced prisoners comes into effect.
The agreement, which was notified December 17 last year by India, will come into effect two months after the exchange of diplomatic communications from both sides regarding completion of all process at their respective ends.
While Italy has already sent its diplomatic letter informing India of completing its process to implement the pact, India is yet to send the same.
"We are in the process of completing our judicial process," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said when asked about the agreement and its impact on the Italian marines.
The pact will not apply to convicts on death row.
The two Italian marines, Salvatore Girone and Massimiliano Latorre, were arrested on February 19 after they shot and killed two Indian fishermen -- Ajesh Binki (25) and Jelestine (45)-- off Alapuzha coast in Kerala on February 15 from the merchant vessel `Enrica Lexie`.
The incident resulted in Italian government taking up the issue with India strongly, both at diplomatic level as well political.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi