Italian vessel violated anti-piracy norms: Navy
New Delhi: Italian merchant vessel Enrica
Lexie had violated the established anti-piracy norms when it
fired at an Indian boat carrying 11 fishermen off the Kollam
coast in Kerala killing two of them, the Navy on Thursday said.
Whenever there is a piracy attempt on a merchant vessel,
it is supposed to communicate to its base or nearest ship but
no such communication was registered from the Italian ship in
this incident, navy sources said here.
The incident was reported only after the fishermen
returned to their village and the Italians had not informed
authorities and agencies concerned even after killing the
fishermen, they said.
The security detail on the merchant vessel seemed to be
trigger-happy as they directly attacked Indian fishermen, the
As per the norms, any ship coming under attack has to
report the incident immediately to the single primary point of
contact which is the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) in
The ships are also supposed to make `Mayday` distress
calls on particular radio frequencies watched by the navies
but no such attempt seems to have been made by the vessel.
In case of an attack, merchant vessels are first required
to adopt evasive measures and if such a measure does not help,
they are supposed to fire warning shorts in air first.
Defence Minister AK Antony also termed the incident as
unfortunate and serious and said investigations were being
carried out by the local police and the Coast Guard in the
Noting that strict vigil was maintained by authorities,
Antony said, "We want everything as per law... At this stage,
saying too much is not correct. But I can tell you law will
take its own course."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in