Italy seeks speedy trial of its marines in fishermen death case
New Delhi: Italy`s Deputy Foreign Minister Staffan de Mistura has met with External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid here seeking speedy trial for the two Italian marines who are facing trial for allegedly killing Indian fishermen.
"Mistura reached Delhi yesterday and prior to his (Khurshid`s) departure (for Norway) late last night, he did meet Mistura.
"They had a discussion and this was related to the desire of Italian government to have a speedy trial for the two marines," External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said here.
He said Mistura apprised Khurshid of the view of the Italian government on this and the External Affairs Minister "explained the situation based on his understanding of where the judicial process is".
Told that this was the fifth meeting between the two leaders, Akbaruddin said the "judicial process has its own speed, it has its own manner of proceedings".
He said India has acknowledged that the marines issue is a case which has not happened previously between India and Italy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali