Italy summons Indian envoy as marines denied bail
New Delhi: Amidst escalating diplomatic row, Italian Foreign Ministry today summoned Indian Ambassador in Rome Debarata Saha to convey its "concerns" over murder charges framed against two of its marines in connection with the killing two Kerala fishermen at sea.
Saha was summoned a day after Italian Ambassador to India Giacomo Sanfelice was recalled to Rome for "consultations", soon after a chargesheet was filed against two Italian marines in the killing of two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast three months ago.
"Indian Ambassador to Italy was called to Italian Foreign Ministry today. He met the Director General of the Foreign Ministry. The concern of the Italian government at the charges filed against the marines in custody in Kerala was conveyed to him," sources in the Ministry of External Affairs said here.
They said Saha has "assured that he would communicate these concerns to the appropriate authorities in India."
The Indian Ambassador was summoned to the Foreign Ministry which "firmly signalled" that the judicial developments related to the Italian sailors were not acceptable to Italian government.
Saha`s summoning comes soon after a court in Kerala rejected the bail application of two Italian marines - Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone- accused in the fishermen killing case.
The marines on board the Italian ship `Enrica Lexie` had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen--Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Bi --on February 15, apparently mistaking them to be pirates.
The marines, who were arrested on February 19, are lodged in the Central Prison in Thiruvanathapuram under judicial remand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi