Italy`s refusal to send back marines a betrayal: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday termed as "betrayal and bluff" the Italian government`s refusal to send back two marines charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen and demanded that all efforts be made to bring them back to face trial in the case.
"This is betrayal and bluff by the Italian government. It is a breach of trust between two sovereign nations and the act is completely unacceptable. Indian government should take every step to retrieve the fugitives immediately and conduct trial under Indian laws and in Indian courts," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy told PTI.
He said BJP will seek an explanation from the government as to why the Italian government is so "casual" about India.
"We have witnessed the same in the Ottavio Quattrochi case and now a similar action where Italian government has virtually challenged India`s highest court," he said.
The two marines Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone have been charged with shooting dead two fishermen off Kerala coast in February last.
The marines were permitted by the Supreme Court to go to Italy for four weeks for voting in last month`s election. Earlier, they were allowed to go home for Christmas holidays after which they returned to India on expiry of their leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!