Italy`s refusal to send back marines a betrayal: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday termed as "betrayal and bluff" the Italian government`s refusal to send back two marines charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen and demanded that all efforts be made to bring them back to face trial in the case.
"This is betrayal and bluff by the Italian government. It is a breach of trust between two sovereign nations and the act is completely unacceptable. Indian government should take every step to retrieve the fugitives immediately and conduct trial under Indian laws and in Indian courts," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy told PTI.
He said BJP will seek an explanation from the government as to why the Italian government is so "casual" about India.
"We have witnessed the same in the Ottavio Quattrochi case and now a similar action where Italian government has virtually challenged India`s highest court," he said.
The two marines Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone have been charged with shooting dead two fishermen off Kerala coast in February last.
The marines were permitted by the Supreme Court to go to Italy for four weeks for voting in last month`s election. Earlier, they were allowed to go home for Christmas holidays after which they returned to India on expiry of their leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed