ITBP admits it failed to estimate correct number of aspirants

Last Updated: Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 14:18

Bareilly/Lucknow: In the backdrop of the death of 20 aspirants who fell of trains, the ITBP on Thursday admitted that it had failed to estimate their number at its
recruitment camp and said it will initiate a fresh drive.

"As recruitment for the post of tradesman was being done after a gap of three years, estimation of the number of aspirants, who will turn up for the process was not right," ITBP Additional Director General Dilip Trivedi told reporters.

He said that an inquiry is being conducted to probe the reasons which led to the incident and is likely to get wrapped up within a week time.

As of now no one can be held guilty, anything could be said only after the inquiry is over, the ADG said.

Trivedi said that the agency will take lesson from the incident and the recruitment process will be changed.

The process will be changed to ensure that such incident to not re-occur, he said.
While, ITBP DIG R S Negi said that all the registrations done on Tuesday had been cancelled and fresh exercise will be undertaken.

An aspirant was allegedly killed and nearly two dozen others were injured during rampage in Bareilly on Tuesday. Nearly 1.5 lakh aspirants gathered at ITBP Kumaon headquarters in Bareilly to deposit their application forms.

Situation went out of control when the aspirants, after failing to get their forms deposited went on rampage, indulged in arson and brick batting.

Later in the day, 20 aspirants were killed as they fell from the roof of Himgiri train after hitting an overbridge in Shahjahanpur, while they were returning back.

Meanwhile, UP government has demanded appropriate action against the officers responsible.

"A letter has been sent to the Centre requesting it to fix responsibility of the officers for mismanagement during recruitment drive and demanding action against guilty," a government spokesman said in Lucknow.

He alleged that the Shahjahanpur incident took place due to lapse on the part of the ITBP officers and temporary arrangements made by them.

"If the ITBP officers would have done right estimation and coordinated with Bareilly administration then such an unfortunate incident would not have had happened," he said.

The government has demanded the Centre to implement standard operating procedure in recruitment drives by central agencies, the spokesman said.

"The Centre has been requested to strictly direct the central agencies to maintain coordination with the district administration during recruitment drives," he said.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 14:18

comments powered by Disqus