ITBP case: SC issues notice to Centre, UP govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued
notices to the Centre and Uttar Pradesh government on a PIL
seeking a probe into a mishap in which 18 persons lost their
lives while travelling on a train roof in the state.
A bench comprising justices BS Reddy and SS Nijjar
sought response from the state government and the Indian
Railway on the probe into the incident after it was alleged
that no inquiry has been conducted into it and authorities are
blaming each other.
The court passed the order on a PIL filed by an advocate
who pleaded that an independent probe is required to fix the
culpability on the concerned authority.
"Various agencies are engaged in a blame-game, making
allegations against each other and shirking their
responsibilities in the matter. It is an appropriate and fit
case in which indulgence of this court is warranted," the
petitioner AK Gupta submitted.
A tragedy had occurred at Hathaurda in Uttar Pradesh
during the recruitment process of ITBP (Indo Tibet Border
Police) in which more than two lakh candidates had appeared.
ITBP aspirants travelled on the roof of a train and 18
people were killed after being hit by an overbridge.
Blaming the ITBP for not making proper arrangement for
the candidates, the petitioner said "ITBP had totally
overlooked and did not consider these realities and practical
difficulties faced by the candidates".
Gupta submitted that instead of providing relief to the
victims of the tragedy, the Home Ministry, the UP police and
the Railway administration has started blaming each other and
shirking their responsibilities.
The petitioner also contended the deceased`s families
should be granted compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters