ITBP scales Everest, begins world record ski down
New Delhi: A six-member team of the paramilitary ITBP on Saturday scaled the world`s tallest peak Mount Everest, as part of their record making feat to ski down the summit from the Chinese side.
The squad, which was flagged off from the national capital on April 6 by Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna, reached the summit at 08:30 IST today and unfurled the tri-colour to mark the event.
"The six-member squad will now begin the ski down from the Chinese side, which the force is attempting this time as part of its golden jubilee celebrations," Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) spokesperson Deepak Pandey said.
ITBP chief Ranjit Sinha talked to the successful mountaineers through a satellite phone just after they climbed the peak.
The team was led by Second-in-Command Ratan Singh Sonal while the other members of the successful squad are troopers Pradeep Kumar Negi, Pasing Sherpa, Devendra Singh, Birendra Singh and Kishore Prasad Gurung.
Lt Governor Khanna, meanwhile, also sent in his felicitations to ITBP Director General Sinha.
The 23-member ITBP team was flagged off for the mountaineering and ski expedition to Mount Everest from the Chinese side, considered tougher than the more-frequently taken route through Nepal.
If the paramilitary team successfully skies down from the 8,848-metre peak somewhere later this month, it would become the first Indian expedition team to do so.
The ITBP, a border guarding force along the 3,488-km long Sino-Indian frontier, has scaled the Everest three times earlier but this is the first time they are skiing down from the Chinese side to create a world record.
More than 15 attempts to ski down the Everest from the Chinese side have failed in the past owing to various reasons and in order to keep a record of this expedition, the ITBP team would be wearing camera-mounted helmets specially procured from Japan.
The second batch of the 23-member ITBP team will soon begin to climb the summit.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket