ITBP to raise 13 more battalions to be based across country
Madurai: The Indo-Tibetan Border Police has proposed to raise 13 more battalions to be based across the country, a top official has said.
The battalions could also be used by states during elections, ITBP DGP R K Bhatia said after the "bhoomi puja" (ground breaking) ceremony for a permanent camp of the force,
the first in south, at Idyapatti near here last evening.
Another camp would come up in Belgaum in Karnataka, he told reporters adding the camps would ensure presence of paramilitary forces at various places facilitating faster
mobility of the personnel for internal security and other duties, including elections.
Besides, ITBP personnel deployed in high altitude border areas where oxygen supply was low were shifted to plains after two years of service in the borders, he pointed out.
He said 2,500 personnel, mostly from the southern states, would be recruited for the force.
An ITBP training centre would come up in Sivaganga, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram`s native district and Parliamentary constituency, Bhatia said.
The Idyapatti camp would be constructed in three years on a 80 acre site given by Tamil Nadu government.
The battalion with 1,100 personnel, including officers, would function from temporary structure which would be built in six months, he said.
To a question, he said ITBP required 60 acres of land for setting up camps. If any state government provided land, they would be willing to set up camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam