It`s my dream to see Arvind Kejriwal as PM: Yogendra Yadav
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A day after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh declared that he won`t seek a third term and that Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi was a fit candidate for the country`s top job, Aam Aadmi Party`s senior member Yogendra Yadav on Saturday said the country should have more alternatives.
Talking to reporters ahead of attending party`s National Executive meet here, the AAP`s chief ideologue described the probability of Rahul Gandhi versus Narendra Modi in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections as unfortunate. The AAP will today review results of the Delhi Assembly Elections and discuss its strategy for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Yadav said it is to be seen whether the AAP can give an alternative, adding he thinks Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal is capable enough to be the PM.
"We have always maintained that the clash between Rahul Gandhi and Narendra Modi will be disastrous for the country. The country needs a better alternative. We will decide if we are capable enough to provide it."
"It is my dream to see Arvind Kejriwal as the prime minister. I think he is capable enough to lead the country. But, we have to see, what is our standing today," he added.
Reacting to the AAP`s statement, BJP leader Balbir Punj said that no one has authorised the AAP to take a decision on Rahul Gandhi and Narendra Modi.
Notably, the Aam Aadmi Party, after a spectacular performance in the Delhi Assembly polls, is all set to try its luck in the upcoming General Elections. The newly-formed party has decided to go beyond Delhi and contest polls from states like Gujarat, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka.
On Friday, Kejriwal had said that political parties should address issues concerning ordinary people instead of constantly debating about the next prime minister.
"How does it matter who becomes the prime minister?" the Aam Aadmi Party leader had told the media.
In a rare press conference after almost four years, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday declared he will not seek a third term after the national elections in May and launched one of his sharpest attacks on the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, questioning his credentials for the top job.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know