It`s time Rahul speaks on Coalgate: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday said it is time Congress leader Rahul Gandhi expressed views on crucial issues like the coal mines allocation scam and poverty and wondered that if he is not "fit" for a bigger role at 42 how can he be so at the age of 52.
"The truth is that in the last eight years, we have not heard Rahul Gandhi speak. Occasionally, he has read out statements here and there. We have not heard him speak about corruption, price rise and poverty.... That may have led to the assessment that he does not exist. That brand Rahul does not exist," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy told reporters.
He pointed out Gandhi has not spoken on the 2G spectrum issue even though it was such a big issue in which former Telecom Minister A Raja had to go to jail. And till now, Gandhi has not spoken on the coal scam either, Rudy said.
"Is he with the Prime Minister or against him? He should speak out whether the charge of a Constitutional institution, the CAG, on the PM for the loot of Rs 1.86 Lakh crore (in the coal scam) is right or wrong. After all, he has to be a statesman. We haven`t heard from him," Rudy said.
"Many a times, there are views from his party that he will be holding the highest post in the government, that he will head the party... But a person who is not fit at 42, what assessment can we have that he will be fit at 52?" Rudy said.
Describing Gandhi as a "crown prince", Rudy said in reply to a question that he was referring to the Congress General Secretary`s "administrative, political and mental maturity" when he mentioned his age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...