IUCN recommends international monitoring of Western Ghats
New Delhi: Amid debates over conservation of Western Ghats, which have been added to UNESCO`s list of iconic places, a World Heritage advisory body has recommended international monitoring to ensure that the 39 bio-diversity hot-spots in the region are properly preserved.
The demand from International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) came after India refused to accept demand from the World Heritage Committee that recommendations of the Madhav Gadgil-led Western Ghats Ecology Experts Panel should be implemented as a pre-condition to get the heritage tag for the mountains which are home to precious biosphere reserves.
"We welcome these sites to the World Heritage List, but note the conservation challenges that they face will need additional monitoring by the World Heritage Committee to ensure that these sites meet the requirements that accompany listing as flagships for global conservation," Tim Badman, Head of IUCN`s World Heritage Programme, said.
Badman also said IUCN, the world`s largest conservation organisation, had reservations in giving heritage tag to Western Ghats -- though it holds "spectacular natural values" -- as its "evaluations considered that more work was needed on these nominations to meet the standards the Convention has set in its Operational Guidelines."
"As the number of natural wonders on the World Heritage List continues to grow, too many sites are left with little resources to manage them properly and conserve the very values they were inscribed for," the IUCN said.
"Many face a barrage of threats, not least from mining and oil exploration," it said.
IUCN also noted it is ready to assist the states in protecting the hot bio-diversity hot-spots in Western Ghats that is home to rain forests, rivers, waterfalls and a number of mammals including the endangered endemic lion-tailed macaque, the endangered Asian elephant and tiger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM