I’ve no patent on ‘saffron terror’: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Despite being ticked off by the Congress, Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday stood by his “saffron terror” remark but clarified that party’s view is supreme and that it has no difference of opinion with the government.
Answering to questions posed by the media during his monthly report presentation, Chidambaram pointed out that he is not the first one to use the phrase “saffron terror” as it has been used a number of times by others, including by some other ministers of the UPA government.
“I cannot claim patent on the phrase,” Chidambaram quipped.
“The message is that the right wing fundamentalists are suspected to be behind some bomb blasts. Saffron terror ensured that the message is not lost,” he pointed out.
Playing down the perceived difference of opinion between the government and the Congress party over the issue, Chidambaram clarified that ‘party is supreme’ and that it is on the same page as the government on the issue.
His clarification came in view of his party making plain its disapproval of the controversial formulation.
"Saffron or bhagwa or kesariya (Hindi equivalents of saffron) is not the issue here. The issue is terrorism. Terrorism does not have any colour other than black," Janardan Dwivedi, Congress general secretary and head of the party`s media department had said.
Dwivedi further said, "Terrorism is terrorism and should be opposed in whatever form it comes. Significantly, he also stressed that "saffron colour has been part of our ancient tradition and is associated with our freedom struggle".
Chidambaram`s remark triggered uproar in Parliament with BJP and Shiv Sena members demanding an apology from him. Later they also pressed for his resignation, terming his comments as an insult.
Addressing a function of state police chiefs in Delhi last week, Chidambaram had said a new phenomenon of "saffron terrorism" involved in many bomb blasts has been uncovered.
His comments came against the backdrop of investigators finding links between Hindu extremist outfits and at least five bomb blasts in recent years - at Hyderabad`s Mecca Masjid, at Ajmer, Goa, Malegaon in Maharashtra and Modasa in Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark