I`ve not abandoned India, says M F Husain
Thiruvananthapuram: Renowned painter M F
Husain today said he has not abandoned India and accepted
Qatari citizenship because of "some technical reasons and
Talking to Malayalam channel Manorama News from Dubai,
he said "I have not abandoned India. Though I consider myself
a world citizen, I am accepting Qatari citizenship because of
some technical reasons and artistic conveniences."
Husain, who could not come to Kerala to receive the
state government`s Raja Ravi Varma Award conferred on him two
years ago, said it was for the state government to remove
legal obstacles in his way.
"If the Kerala government is serious about Raja Ravi
Varma Award, it should try to remove the legal obstacles,"
Husain said when asked whether it was not time for him to come
to Kerala to receive it.
Husain was chosen for Kerala`s highest honour for
artistic excellence, instituted in memory of the renowned
Indian painter Varma, in 2008. But the government has not been
able to present it to him since he has been living abroad.
When the artist`s comments on the award were brought
to his notice, Kerala Culture Minister M A Baby said that
the state government would explore the possibility of
presenting the award to him.
He, however, said efforts by the Kerala government
alone was not enough to remove the legal obstacles. The Centre
should take steps to clear legal hurdles before the artist to
enable him come to India, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state