J Dey murder: Police still groping in dark
Mumbai: Five days after the sensational broad daylight murder of senior crime reporter Jyotirmoy Dey, Mumbai Police is still groping in the dark and is clueless about the real killers.
As per reports, Mumbai Police has set free two persons identified as Iqbal Hatela and Mateen, who were detained by the Crime Branch yesterday for interrogation in connection with the journalist’s murder.
The two are said to be the sharpshooters of the Chhota Shakeel gang.
Mumbai Police had on Wednesday indicated that D-company may be behind the killing of the Mid-Day journalist.
However, Iqbal Hatela has categorically denied his involvement. He said that while Police had detained him yesterday, they didn’t ask him any questions!
“They did not even ask me a single question while I was in custody,” he told reporters.
After overnight detention both Hatela and Mateen were released.
On Wednesday, both Hatela and Mateen were held from Mumbai, whereas the third yet unidentified person was nabbed from Pune.
Mumbai Crime Branch are believed to have in the past five days detained up to 6-7 people for interrogation, but so far have failed to achieve any breakthrough in the case.
Based on its initial investigations, the Crime Branch had claimed that the weapons used for the attack are the kind usually used by Dawood Ibrahim`s hit men.
In a press conference later, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan also indicated that some progress has been made in the case.
Dey, 56, who had extensively covered underworld and crime for over two and a half decades, was shot dead by four unidentified persons in suburban Powai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- No separate guidelines for defence PSUs on JVs: Govt
- Arvind Kejriwal says PM Narendra Modi can even get him killed; now, BJP's reaction is interesting - READ
- Monsanto case: CCI rejects pleas seeking review of probe order
- Man who tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan in 1981 to be freed
- One of 9 militants killed in Dhaka raid is 'missing' varsity student