J Dey murder: Police still groping in dark
Mumbai: Five days after the sensational broad daylight murder of senior crime reporter Jyotirmoy Dey, Mumbai Police is still groping in the dark and is clueless about the real killers.
As per reports, Mumbai Police has set free two persons identified as Iqbal Hatela and Mateen, who were detained by the Crime Branch yesterday for interrogation in connection with the journalist’s murder.
The two are said to be the sharpshooters of the Chhota Shakeel gang.
Mumbai Police had on Wednesday indicated that D-company may be behind the killing of the Mid-Day journalist.
However, Iqbal Hatela has categorically denied his involvement. He said that while Police had detained him yesterday, they didn’t ask him any questions!
“They did not even ask me a single question while I was in custody,” he told reporters.
After overnight detention both Hatela and Mateen were released.
On Wednesday, both Hatela and Mateen were held from Mumbai, whereas the third yet unidentified person was nabbed from Pune.
Mumbai Crime Branch are believed to have in the past five days detained up to 6-7 people for interrogation, but so far have failed to achieve any breakthrough in the case.
Based on its initial investigations, the Crime Branch had claimed that the weapons used for the attack are the kind usually used by Dawood Ibrahim`s hit men.
In a press conference later, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan also indicated that some progress has been made in the case.
Dey, 56, who had extensively covered underworld and crime for over two and a half decades, was shot dead by four unidentified persons in suburban Powai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon