J Dey murder: Police still groping in dark
Mumbai: Five days after the sensational broad daylight murder of senior crime reporter Jyotirmoy Dey, Mumbai Police is still groping in the dark and is clueless about the real killers.
As per reports, Mumbai Police has set free two persons identified as Iqbal Hatela and Mateen, who were detained by the Crime Branch yesterday for interrogation in connection with the journalist’s murder.
The two are said to be the sharpshooters of the Chhota Shakeel gang.
Mumbai Police had on Wednesday indicated that D-company may be behind the killing of the Mid-Day journalist.
However, Iqbal Hatela has categorically denied his involvement. He said that while Police had detained him yesterday, they didn’t ask him any questions!
“They did not even ask me a single question while I was in custody,” he told reporters.
After overnight detention both Hatela and Mateen were released.
On Wednesday, both Hatela and Mateen were held from Mumbai, whereas the third yet unidentified person was nabbed from Pune.
Mumbai Crime Branch are believed to have in the past five days detained up to 6-7 people for interrogation, but so far have failed to achieve any breakthrough in the case.
Based on its initial investigations, the Crime Branch had claimed that the weapons used for the attack are the kind usually used by Dawood Ibrahim`s hit men.
In a press conference later, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan also indicated that some progress has been made in the case.
Dey, 56, who had extensively covered underworld and crime for over two and a half decades, was shot dead by four unidentified persons in suburban Powai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore