J Jayalalithaa flays DMK chief M Karunanidhi
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalaltihaa on Tuesday ridiculed DMK leader M Karunanidhi for quitting the UPA, saying he should have done this in 2009 when the LTTE was crushed.
She accused Karunanidhi of covering up his earlier blunder when he failed to act when Colombo militarily crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
"The plan of Karunanidhi will not succeed and the people of Tamil Nadu will teach him a lesson," she said. "People are fed up with such dramas enacted by Karunanidhi."
Jayalalithaa attacked Karunanidhi for demanding that a resolution against Sri Lanka be passed in Indian Parliament.
"It is only in the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) (that) amendments to the (US sponsored anti-Sri Lankan resolution) should be brought," she said.
Jayalalithaa said action can be taken against the Sri Lankan government only if a strong resolution was passed at the UNHRC against Sri Lanka.
According to her, Karunanidhi didn`t act in 2009 when he was in power in Tamil Nadu and the DMK was part of the central government when the war was at its peak in Sri Lanka.
She said Karunanidhi did not withdraw support to the central government or pulled out then.
Ecohing her, CPI-M leader TK Rangarajan told a news agency: "After enjoying power at the centre for two terms, the DMK chief has announced withdrawal of support to show himself as the hero of Tamils."
Rangarajan said Karunanidhi`s agenda was to face the next Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH