Jacket scam: Bail plea of woman accused dismissed
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday dismissed the
bail application of the sole woman accused in the bullet-proof
jacket purchase scam case saying the investigation was still in
Additional Sessions judge O P Saini dismissed Laveena
Gupta`s application saying the investigation was still in
initial stage and it would not be appropriate to allow her
Earlier, Laveena, one of the directors of the Anjani
Technoclass Ltd, sought the bail on the ground of being a
woman and said over 350 employees, working with the firm, have
been "rendered orphan" due to closure of work in the factory
engaged in production of defence equipment.
However, CBI opposed the plea saying the investigation was
at an initial stage and freeing the accused on bail will
adversely affect the case.
It also contended the case was sensitive as it pertained
to a scam in connection with the jackets to be used by
CBI had alleged Laveena, along with her husband R K
Gupta, gave Rs 10 lakh as bribe to seek favour from a senior
Home Ministry official Radhey Shyam Sharma.
The court had on May one sent Sharma and two others,
including Laveena`s husband, to 14 days of judicial custody as
the probe agency did not press for their further custodial
interrogation in the case.
Sharma, an Indian Railway and Engineering Officer of 1984
batch, is accused of accepting Rs 10 lakh as bribe in the
purchase of bullet-proof jackets for central paramilitary
Sharma, Gupta and his wife Laveena are booked under
various penal provisions dealing with giving and accepting
bribe and conspiracy. Sharma has also been charged with
misconduct on the part of a public servant.
According to CBI, the MHA official allegedly developed a
"nexus" with some private firms, including that owned by the
Gupta duo, involved in the supply of 59,000 bullet-proof
jackets for paramilitary forces.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement