Jagan Raddy files nomination for Kadapa LS bypoll
Hyderabad: YSR Congress Party chief Y.S.Jaganmohan Reddy Friday filed nomination for the May 8 by-election to the Kadapa Lok Sabha seat.
Jagan, as he is popularly known, filed the papers before the returning officer at the district collectorate in Kadapa.
Accompanied by a large number of supporters, the young leader reached the district collector`s office after taking the blessings of his mother Vijayalaxmi.
YSR Congress Party exuded confidence that Jagan will retain the seat. "There is no doubt that Jaganmohan Reddy will win the by-election with a bumper majority," said his supporter and actress Roja.
Earlier, Jagan visited his father Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy`s grave at Idupulapaya family estate in Kadapa district to seek his blessings.
The ruling Congress has fielded state Health Minister D.L. Ravindra Reddy while the main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) has named Rajya Sabha member M.V. Mysoora Reddy as its candidate.
Jagan`s mother will file her nomination for Pulivendula assembly seat Saturday. She is pitted against her brother-in-law and state Agriculture Minister Y.S. Vivekananda Reddy.
The by-elections are necessitated by the resignations of Jagan and his mother as MP and legislator respectively in November last year.
They also quit the Congress, accusing the party leadership of trying to divide the family by wooing YSR`s younger brother Vivekananda Reddy with a ministerial berth.
Jagan launched the new party last month, with a promise to continue the pro-people policies of his late father.
YSR died in a helicopter crash in September 2009, five months after he led the Congress to second successive electoral victory in the state.
Jagan, who made his electoral debut by winning the Kadapa Lok Sabha seat in 2009, was ignored by the leadership when his loyalists demanded that he be made the chief minister, succeeding his late father.
In the December 2009 by-elections to Pulivendula caused by YSR`s death, his widow was elected unopposed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement