Jagan ‘waters’ Cong rebellion with fast in Delhi
New Delhi: In what could be a major embarrassment for the Congress, at least 20 party MLAs, two MPs and 2 MLCs were Tuesday present at former party MP Jaganmohan Reddy`s one-day fast here to protest the "injustice" meted out to Andhra Pradesh in the Krishna Water Disputes Tribunal award.
Jagan, who had announced his plans to launch a new party, is on a fast at Jantar Mantar here along with his supporters which includes two Congress MPs Sabbam Hari and Rajamohan Reddy, and at least 20 Congress MLAs. Leaders from other political parties in Andhra Pradesh were also present at the dharna site.
Two MLAs from film-star turned politician Chiranjeevi`s Praja Rajyam Party (PRP)--- Shoba Naga Reddy and K Rama Reddy, and TDP`s Bal Naga Reddy and Prassana Kumar Reddy also attended the fast, which coined the slogan `farmers` right, Andhra Pradesh fight` and `our water our right`.
TRS MLA Rehman was also present at the site of the dharna besides former state ministers--- Pilli Subhash Chandra Bose and Surekha. The protest is being held under the banner of the `Jal Deeksha`.
Addressing his supporters today, Jagan issued a veiled threat to the Congress saying that its government in Andhra Pradesh is at his mercy.
“I am doing Congress’ a favour by not asking my MLAs to resign. If my MLAs resign then the government in Andhra Pradesh will fall,” Jagan said.
He also chided the Congress by adding that in 2014 –next Assembly elections – people won’t contest on Congress ticket.
However, the Congress was quick in dismissing his statement by asserting that its government is under no threat.
Putting "speculation to rest", spokesperson Manish Tewari said: "The Congress government was never in any kind of a threat, is not in any threat and neither will be."
"we are not here to criticise anybody", Tewari told reporters: "Mr Jaganmohan Reddy is not a part of the Congress party."
The former Congress MP from Kadapa, who had resigned from the party in November last, arrived here late night by a special train along with his supporters and farmers.
The 38-year-old son of former AP chief minister late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy had quit Congress on November 29, 2010 alleging "humiliation" by the party High Command.
Jagan had last month held a 48-hour fast at Vijayawada demanding hike in compensation announced by the government for the rain-hit farmers.
Political parties in Andhra Pradesh are not happy with the Krishna Tribunal Award and claim that state will now have to be at the mercy of upper riparian state Karnataka.
They had said the award was a "big blow" as Andhra Pradesh has lost "total right" over utilisation of surplus water.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof