Jaganmohan Reddy told to meet speaker for resignation
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday told YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy and two other Parliament members to make their representation before the speaker for acceptance of their resignation as the Lok Sabha members.
Justice VK Jain of the high court asked the three members of Parliament to personally meet Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar to confirm the "genuine and voluntary" nature of their resignation.
The MPs put in their papers to protest the central government`s decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh and form a separate Telangana state.
They alleged the speaker had rejected their resignation without giving any reason.
Justice VK Jain said: "Petitioners will personally meet the Speaker, Lok Sabha, to confirm the genuine and voluntary nature of resignation which they have sent to her."
YS Jaganmohan Reddy along with Nellore MP Mekapati Rajamohan Reddy and Nandyal MP SPY Reddy moved the Delhi High Court seeking its intervention in acceptance of their resignation as Lok Sabha members.
Counsel for Jagan, as the YSR Congress chief and MP from Kadapa is popularly known, told the court that Andhra Pradesh High Court while granting bail had restrained him from leaving Hyderabad, so he has abide by the court`s order and cannot visit Delhi to meet the speaker.
However, Justice Jain asked counsel to seek permission from the state high court to allow the YSR Congress president to submit his resignation in Delhi.
The court added that on the next date of hearing it will decide on the maintainability of the plea, as Additional Solicitor General Rajeeve Mehra objected to the plea saying this court cannot interfere with the decision of the speaker.
The Lok Sabha speaker has recently rejected the resignations of 13 MPs from Seemandhra region.
Earlier, Congress MP Lagadapati Rajagopal also had approached the high court when the speaker rejected his resignation. Lagadapati later withdrew his petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video