Jagdambika Pal, comedian Raju Srivastava join BJP, endorse Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Former Congress leader Jagdambika Pal and popular stand-up comedian Raju Srivastava on Wednesday joined the Bharatiya Janata Party ahead of crucial Lok Sabha polls.
Describing Pal as a leader of high political standing, BJP chief Rajnath Singh said that his decision to join the BJP would go a long way in strengthening the party on the national stage.
“I welcome Jagdambika Pal and Raju Srivastav into the party,” Singh said on the occasion, adding, “Their entry will add strength to the party.”
Singh said that both Pal and Srivastava have been given significant roles in the party.
Speaking to reporters later, Srivastava said, “I want to work for my people. I have not joined the party anticipating an important post or responsibility.” He stressed that only BJP under Narendra Modi can give a stable and corruption free government in India.
On his turn, Pal said, “The decision to join BJP was delayed since I wanted to take the opinion of the people I had won from.”
“Only courts are empowered to give clean chit to anyone. Rahul Gandhi hasn`t given Modi ji clean chit only to create a misleading situation during polls,“ Pal stated.
Former Congress MP and Uttar Pradesh unit chief Jagdambika Pal had earlier this month resigned from the Lok Sabha as well as from the party, saying that the emerging leadership did not need leaders like him.
Pal, 63, has also been a three-time legislator and minister in the state.
Meanwhile, Raju Srivastava had on March 11 returned the Samajwadi Party Lok Sabha ticket to contest from Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh.
Srivastava returned the Samajwadi Party Lok Sabha ticket, saying he was not getting enough support from the local units of the ruling party.
Srivastava was given the party ticket in 2013 and had already started his election campaign.
Sources said Srivastava was unhappy with the local leaders who had refused to promote him and help him expand base. While the SP leadership, including party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, apparently asked him to continue with the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing