Jagjit Singh suffers brain haemorrhage, critical
Mumbai: Renowned ghazal singer Jagjit Singh suffered brain haemorrhage on Friday and is in a critical state, doctors attending to him said.
He was immediately rushed to the Lilavati Hospital in suburban Bandra where a life-saving surgery was performed on him, according to hospital sources.
Singh (70) is under observation, they said.
The ghazal maestro was to perform at a concert in the city today. His wife Chitra Singh is with him in the hospital.
Jagjit Singh was scheduled to perform Hindi, Urdu and Punjabi ghazals at a concert with fellow maestro from Pakistan Ghulam Ali at Shanmukhananda auditorium in Friday.
A representative of the Fever Entertainment which is organizing the ‘Fever unplugged concert’ told a private news agency, “Owing to the sudden hospitalization of Jagjit Singh, singer Hariharan is performing in his place.”
Jagjit Singh was born in Sri Ganganagar, Rajasthan. He had four sisters and two brothers and he is known as Jeet by his family.
Popularly known as "The Ghazal King" he gained acclaim together with his wife, another renowned Indian ghazal singer Chitra Singh, in the 1970s and 1980s, as the first ever successful duo act (husband-wife) in the history of recorded Indian music.
His popular ghazals include, Meri zindagi kisi aur ki, mere naam ka koi aur hai, Apni marzi se kahan apne safar ke hum hain, Wo jo hum mein tumme qaraar tha, Patta-patta boota-boota haal hamaara jaane hai, Hoshwalo ko khabar, etc.
He has also sung for popular movies like Sarfarosh and Tarqeeb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city