Jagjit Singh suffers brain haemorrhage, critical
Mumbai: Renowned ghazal singer Jagjit Singh suffered brain haemorrhage on Friday and is in a critical state, doctors attending to him said.
He was immediately rushed to the Lilavati Hospital in suburban Bandra where a life-saving surgery was performed on him, according to hospital sources.
Singh (70) is under observation, they said.
The ghazal maestro was to perform at a concert in the city today. His wife Chitra Singh is with him in the hospital.
Jagjit Singh was scheduled to perform Hindi, Urdu and Punjabi ghazals at a concert with fellow maestro from Pakistan Ghulam Ali at Shanmukhananda auditorium in Friday.
A representative of the Fever Entertainment which is organizing the ‘Fever unplugged concert’ told a private news agency, “Owing to the sudden hospitalization of Jagjit Singh, singer Hariharan is performing in his place.”
Jagjit Singh was born in Sri Ganganagar, Rajasthan. He had four sisters and two brothers and he is known as Jeet by his family.
Popularly known as "The Ghazal King" he gained acclaim together with his wife, another renowned Indian ghazal singer Chitra Singh, in the 1970s and 1980s, as the first ever successful duo act (husband-wife) in the history of recorded Indian music.
His popular ghazals include, Meri zindagi kisi aur ki, mere naam ka koi aur hai, Apni marzi se kahan apne safar ke hum hain, Wo jo hum mein tumme qaraar tha, Patta-patta boota-boota haal hamaara jaane hai, Hoshwalo ko khabar, etc.
He has also sung for popular movies like Sarfarosh and Tarqeeb.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended