Jailed IITian Vikram Buddhi asks for removal of lawyer
Chicago: IIT alumnus Vikram Buddhi, convicted for posting hate messages against former President George Bush, on Thursday said he wanted to fire his lawyer as he appeared in a court here for his sentencing.
Buddhi, who has been in a US federal prison since 2006, told the judge that his lawyer Arlingpon Foley has not been discussing the case with him properly and not giving him proper time.
The 38-year old Phd student at Purdue University was tried in Court of Hammond, Indiana and has been kept at Chicago Correctional Centre for the last 3.5 years.
The indictment alleged that Buddhi made threats against the then US president, vice president Dick Cheney and their wives, and called for bombings of American infrastructure.
Foley is the second lawyer to appointed for Buddhi after his first lawyer was removed apparently on the same grounds.
However, Judge James T Moody told Buddhi in a strict tone that his sentencing will go on today.
He asked Buddi to either represent himself or discuss the issue with his lawyer, before the court proceedings broke up for recess.
Buddhi has said that the charges against him are false and he has been wrongly and unfairly convicted.
His sentencing was initially scheduled for November 19, 2009 but was postponed to December 10. In India, Buddhi`s parents have been knocking on the government`s doors for help. IItians too have been campaigning to get Buddhi freed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof