Jailed IITian Vikram Buddhi asks for removal of lawyer
Chicago: IIT alumnus Vikram Buddhi, convicted for posting hate messages against former President George Bush, on Thursday said he wanted to fire his lawyer as he appeared in a court here for his sentencing.
Buddhi, who has been in a US federal prison since 2006, told the judge that his lawyer Arlingpon Foley has not been discussing the case with him properly and not giving him proper time.
The 38-year old Phd student at Purdue University was tried in Court of Hammond, Indiana and has been kept at Chicago Correctional Centre for the last 3.5 years.
The indictment alleged that Buddhi made threats against the then US president, vice president Dick Cheney and their wives, and called for bombings of American infrastructure.
Foley is the second lawyer to appointed for Buddhi after his first lawyer was removed apparently on the same grounds.
However, Judge James T Moody told Buddhi in a strict tone that his sentencing will go on today.
He asked Buddi to either represent himself or discuss the issue with his lawyer, before the court proceedings broke up for recess.
Buddhi has said that the charges against him are false and he has been wrongly and unfairly convicted.
His sentencing was initially scheduled for November 19, 2009 but was postponed to December 10. In India, Buddhi`s parents have been knocking on the government`s doors for help. IItians too have been campaigning to get Buddhi freed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India