Jaipur police to seek custody of Bitti Mohanty
Kannur: A team of Rajasthan Police is expected to arrive here on Monday to seek custody of rape case convict Bitti Mohanty, who was arrested after remaining absconding for seven years by jumping parole while serving a prison term in Rajasthan.
Jaipur Assistant Police Commissioner Biju George Joseph told a Malayalam television channel that a team of Rajasthan Police would reach Kannur tomorrow with jail and production warrants. Bitti was sentenced to seven years imprisonment in 2006 for raping a 26-year-old German woman at Alwar.
Son of former Odisha DGP BB Mohanty, Bitti had been working as a Probationary Officer in a public sector bank here for the last three years impersonating as `Raghav Raja` from Andhra Pradesh.
He had been charged with cheating, foregery and impersonation by Kerala Police.
Bitti landed in trouble after the employees of the bank branch at Pazhayangadi grew suspicious of the true identity of their colleague on seeing his photo among pictures of accused in various sex crimes shown by TV channels and those floated on the Internet in the wake of the Delhi gang-rape incident.
Bitti was picked up from his local residence on Friday evening and during interrogation revealed his true identity after initially trying to mislead the police.
The arrest proceedings were completed after police also corroborated their findings by interacting with their counterparts in Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
After jumping parole in 2006, Bitti obtained an MBA degree and managed to get into the bank as a probationary officer.
He pretended to be an Andhraite and during his stay also learnt to speak Malayalam well, without giving a clue to local people or his colleagues that he is a convict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report