Jairam Ramesh refuses to show cards on alliance
Patna: Refusing to show its cards whether it will go with RJD or JD(U), Union minister Jairam Ramesh on Friday said talks on alliance for Lok Sabha polls in Bihar was on and a decision would be taken in "a few days."
"Talks are on and a decision will be taken in a few days," Ramesh told reporters.
Asked about choice between Lalu Prasad and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, he refused to give a pointed answer and said "all options are open."
He, however, said that majority opinion even that of state unit was to have partner for the polls in Bihar and not go alone in the husting.
When asked if Kumar`s image of a "development man" and charges of corruption against RJD President Lalu Prasad would influence the decision on alliance, he said "I have not come here to give chit of being good or corrupt to anyone."
Ramesh, considered close to Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi and a strategist for him, said the decision on alliance would be finalised on two conditions.
First is to strengthen the secular forces in Bihar and second to give muscle to development of the state, Ramesh flanked by PCC chief Ashok Chaudhary said.
To a question if there was division within Congress in making choice between RJD and JD(U), he said "Congress is not a divided house...But no doors have been shut by us."
Replying to a question if corruption was no criteria for finalising alliance and isn`t going with Lalu Prasad would damage their reputation, he said corruption is a big agenda for Congress which would in no case make any compromise on it.
"The UPA government on initiative of Rahul Gandhi has passed Lokpal bill and by February end Lokayuktas will be appointed in states," he said.
In reply to a question about his personal equation with the Bihar CM, he said it was good but said whenever they meet they do not talk politics but about development particularly in the rural sectors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30