Jairam Ramesh to be next Railway Minister?
New Delhi: With the Trinamool Congress officially quitting the UPA government on Friday, Congress is likely to keep the Railway Ministry to itself and one of its senior ministers is expected to replace Mamata Banerjee`s man Mukul Roy.
If the Congress sources are to be believed then Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh is most likely to be the next Railway Minister.
If Ramesh gets the Cabinet rank of Railway Minister, Railway will get the third minister in a year after Roy’s exit.
Incumbent Railway Minister Roy was appointed in March after Trinamool Congress chief sacked Dinesh Trivedi for increasing passenger fares without her consent.
The shift in the Railway Minister has largely been driven by the TMC chief in the last one year. When Trivedi hiked passenger fares in March 2012, Banerjee opposed it ferociously. She alleged that Trivedi had kept the party in the dark about hike in passenger fare.
Trivedi had to pay a huge price for upsetting Mamata Didi as he had to step down as Railway Minister paving way for Roy, who announced a rollback of the hike immediately after taking charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state