Jairam Ramesh to be next Railway Minister?
New Delhi: With the Trinamool Congress officially quitting the UPA government on Friday, Congress is likely to keep the Railway Ministry to itself and one of its senior ministers is expected to replace Mamata Banerjee`s man Mukul Roy.
If the Congress sources are to be believed then Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh is most likely to be the next Railway Minister.
If Ramesh gets the Cabinet rank of Railway Minister, Railway will get the third minister in a year after Roy’s exit.
Incumbent Railway Minister Roy was appointed in March after Trinamool Congress chief sacked Dinesh Trivedi for increasing passenger fares without her consent.
The shift in the Railway Minister has largely been driven by the TMC chief in the last one year. When Trivedi hiked passenger fares in March 2012, Banerjee opposed it ferociously. She alleged that Trivedi had kept the party in the dark about hike in passenger fare.
Trivedi had to pay a huge price for upsetting Mamata Didi as he had to step down as Railway Minister paving way for Roy, who announced a rollback of the hike immediately after taking charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement