Jairam Ramesh to be next Railway Minister?
New Delhi: With the Trinamool Congress officially quitting the UPA government on Friday, Congress is likely to keep the Railway Ministry to itself and one of its senior ministers is expected to replace Mamata Banerjee`s man Mukul Roy.
If the Congress sources are to be believed then Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh is most likely to be the next Railway Minister.
If Ramesh gets the Cabinet rank of Railway Minister, Railway will get the third minister in a year after Roy’s exit.
Incumbent Railway Minister Roy was appointed in March after Trinamool Congress chief sacked Dinesh Trivedi for increasing passenger fares without her consent.
The shift in the Railway Minister has largely been driven by the TMC chief in the last one year. When Trivedi hiked passenger fares in March 2012, Banerjee opposed it ferociously. She alleged that Trivedi had kept the party in the dark about hike in passenger fare.
Trivedi had to pay a huge price for upsetting Mamata Didi as he had to step down as Railway Minister paving way for Roy, who announced a rollback of the hike immediately after taking charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city