Jaish commander killed in Jammu
Jammu: A self-styled divisional commissioner of terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammad who was involved in an attack on the Akshardham temple in Gujarat was killed in a gunfight with security forces in Jammu and Kashmir, police said Monday.
The militant was killed late Sunday in Narole forests of Mendhar in Poonch district, about 230 km north of Jammu. He has been identified as Abdullah Simi, a resident of Dabowal in Pakistan.
"Simi was involved in the attack on the Akshardham temple. The attack was coordinated from Mendhar in Poonch district," Senior Superintendent of Police (Poonch) Manmohan Singh said.
Jaish militants had mounted a "fidayeen" (suicide) attack on Akshardham temple in Gujarat in September 2005. All the three attackers were killed. The planning of the attack and its logistics were traced to Poonch.
"The killing of the Pakistani terrorist was a `deadly blow` to Jaish-e-Mohammad in particular and the militants operating in Poonch and adjoining areas in general," a police officer said.
Singh said Simi was a coordinator of militant activities in the hill areas of Poonch district. "He was a key man in setting the tasks for the militants, besides motivating and sending the militancy-inclined youth across for training," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city