Jaiswal get more time to file reply to EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission has
granted two more days to Union minister Sriprakash Jaiswal to reply to its notice on his comments on imposition of
President`s Rule in Uttar Pradesh, which it held prima facie a
violation of the Model Code of Conduct.
The Commission had on February 24 slapped a show cause
notice on Jaiswal, Coal Minister, asking why action should not
be initiated against him for his President`s Rule remarks made
during campaigning in Uttar Pradesh.
Jaiswal was to reply to the EC notice by February 27 but
has been allowed to file his reply by February 29 after he
sought two more days time to enable him to explain his stand
on the matter in detail.
"I have received the Election Commission notice. I am a
law-abiding citizen of a law-abiding party. The Election
Commission will be sent a reply within time and I hope it
(takes note) that I had not given any wrong statement...
because the question has not been shown and only my reply has
been. Thus, an illusion has been created. Tomorrow is the last
date for replying (to EC notice) and I will reply by
tomorrow," Jaswal told reporters here today.
The EC action came in the wake of complaints received by
it from BJP and Samajwadi Party, charging Jaiswal with
violating the Model Code and for allegedly threatening the
voters of Uttar Pradesh.
Jaiswal had, after casting his vote in Kanpur in the 5th
phase of polling yesterday, said "if Congress gets majority,
then it will form the government... In case we don`t get clear
majority, we sit in the opposition and I see no alternative
but Governor`s rule."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks