Jaiswal get more time to file reply to EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission has
granted two more days to Union minister Sriprakash Jaiswal to reply to its notice on his comments on imposition of
President`s Rule in Uttar Pradesh, which it held prima facie a
violation of the Model Code of Conduct.
The Commission had on February 24 slapped a show cause
notice on Jaiswal, Coal Minister, asking why action should not
be initiated against him for his President`s Rule remarks made
during campaigning in Uttar Pradesh.
Jaiswal was to reply to the EC notice by February 27 but
has been allowed to file his reply by February 29 after he
sought two more days time to enable him to explain his stand
on the matter in detail.
"I have received the Election Commission notice. I am a
law-abiding citizen of a law-abiding party. The Election
Commission will be sent a reply within time and I hope it
(takes note) that I had not given any wrong statement...
because the question has not been shown and only my reply has
been. Thus, an illusion has been created. Tomorrow is the last
date for replying (to EC notice) and I will reply by
tomorrow," Jaswal told reporters here today.
The EC action came in the wake of complaints received by
it from BJP and Samajwadi Party, charging Jaiswal with
violating the Model Code and for allegedly threatening the
voters of Uttar Pradesh.
Jaiswal had, after casting his vote in Kanpur in the 5th
phase of polling yesterday, said "if Congress gets majority,
then it will form the government... In case we don`t get clear
majority, we sit in the opposition and I see no alternative
but Governor`s rule."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends