Jaiswal urges Shinde to award Kanpur man with Shaurya Chakra
Kanpur: Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal has written a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, urging him to award Shaurya Chakra to a Kanpur resident, who was shot dead by two criminals while trying to foil a robbery bid.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Jaiswal said that he has urged Shinde to award Shaurya Chakra to Sardar Indarjit Singh Raju (40), who was shot dead while chasing the robbers.
Raju had tried to catch the criminals who robbed a woman at knife-point in Shastri Nagar here but was shot dead by them.
The two accused have been arrested by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok