Jaiswal urges Shinde to award Kanpur man with Shaurya Chakra
Kanpur: Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal has written a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, urging him to award Shaurya Chakra to a Kanpur resident, who was shot dead by two criminals while trying to foil a robbery bid.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Jaiswal said that he has urged Shinde to award Shaurya Chakra to Sardar Indarjit Singh Raju (40), who was shot dead while chasing the robbers.
Raju had tried to catch the criminals who robbed a woman at knife-point in Shastri Nagar here but was shot dead by them.
The two accused have been arrested by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed