Jaitapur N-plant: Chavan, Ramesh meet PM
New Delhi: Concerned over growing opposition by locals to the proposed Jaitapur nuclear project in Maharashtra, state Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh here, to discuss the overall issue.
The meeting which took place at the Prime Minister’s residence assumes significance owing to the growing protests against the ambitious 9,900 MW nuclear power project in the state’s Ratnagiri district. Chavan is keen to get the Centre’s view on it before finalising the future course of action.
Yesterday, the Jaitapur issue was discussed threadbare in a meeting held by Chavan with his deputy Ajit Pawar, Home Minister RR Patil and Industries Minister Narayan Rane.
According to officials, the ministers sought to know about the Centre`s stand on the project in view of strong opposition by locals and the death of a protester last week in the police firing.
The "ambiguous" stand adopted by Ramesh on the project was also a cause of concern for the Maharashtra government baffled by the spate of agitations against the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan