Jaitapur N-plant: Chavan, Ramesh meet PM
New Delhi: Concerned over growing opposition by locals to the proposed Jaitapur nuclear project in Maharashtra, state Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh here, to discuss the overall issue.
The meeting which took place at the Prime Minister’s residence assumes significance owing to the growing protests against the ambitious 9,900 MW nuclear power project in the state’s Ratnagiri district. Chavan is keen to get the Centre’s view on it before finalising the future course of action.
Yesterday, the Jaitapur issue was discussed threadbare in a meeting held by Chavan with his deputy Ajit Pawar, Home Minister RR Patil and Industries Minister Narayan Rane.
According to officials, the ministers sought to know about the Centre`s stand on the project in view of strong opposition by locals and the death of a protester last week in the police firing.
The "ambiguous" stand adopted by Ramesh on the project was also a cause of concern for the Maharashtra government baffled by the spate of agitations against the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth