Jaitapur N-project not part of govt stay: NPCIL
New Delhi: Amid reports of a moratorium on
projects in Maharashtra`s Ratnagiri district, the Nuclear
Power Corporation has said that its ambitious plan to build
mega atomic power plants in the region was not put on hold.
"Jaitapur project is not a part of this stay," a Nuclear
Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) spokesman said.
The NPCIL, along with French company Areva, is setting up
two nuclear power plants of 1,650 MW each at Jaitapur in
Ratnagiri district. The Jaitapur project entails building a
total of six nuclear power plants.
The NPCIL official said that the public hearing for the
project was held on May 16 this year.
A recent notification issued by the Ministry of
Environment and Forests has imposed a four-month moratorium on
new projects in Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts from August
16 to December 16.
The NPCIL official said that the Jaitapur nuclear project
in Ratnagiri does not come under this moratorium.
The Jaitapur project is being developed as part of the
civil nuclear agreement India had signed with France after the
Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) agreed to allow India to take
part in international nuclear commerce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why