Jaitley accuses PM of `blatantly interfering` in CBI functioning
New Delhi: BJP leader Arun Jaitley on Thursday accused Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of "blatantly interfering" in CBI`s functioning and "crippling" it from carrying on its routine investigations for "stopping" CBI searches at the residence of DMK leader MK Stalin`s residence in Chennai.
"Merely because it has a political fallout, it is improper for any Prime Minister or a Finance Minister to so blatantly interfere in the functioning of CBI and cripple it from carrying on its routine investigations," Jaitley said.
The Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha said if the CBI was carrying out its search in the normal course of investigation, then it should have been allowed to carry out the exercise at Stalin`s residence.
"If this was a search in the normal course of CBI investigation, CBI is entitled to carry out that search. What business does the government have or the political regime have to interfere in CBI and start stopping that search,” he said.
Jaitley said the Prime Minister or the Finance Minister "cannot interfere" in the functioning of CBI and have a "search stopped".
He said the CBI carries out searches on many people but the Prime Minister has never condemned them.
Hitting out at the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister for condemning the search, Jaitley said "They can`t condemn a search because it is the job of CBI in connection with their investigation to search premises."
He said if the government was not in the know of CBI search in Chennai, then the government had no power to stop it and if it was in the know of the search, "then the government will have to answer" the action as it is initiated two days after DMK withdrew support to UPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand