Jaitley CDR row: Court extends JC of 4, constable seeks bail
New Delhi: A court here on Wednesday issued notice to Delhi Police seeking its response by tomorrow on a bail plea of a policeman arrested along with three others for allegedly illegally retrieving call details of BJP leader Arun Jaitley.
Constable Arvind Dabas moved his bail plea before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Amit Bansal who also extended the judicial custody of all the four accused till March 20 after the Special Cell of Delhi Police said their probe into the case was on.
"All the accused persons are remanded in judicial custody till March 20," the CMM said and extended the judicial custody of constable Dabas and three private detectives -- Anurag, who is alleged to be the main conspirator, Neeraj and Nitish.
During the hearing, advocate Naushad Ahmad Khan, appearing for Dabas, moved the bail application saying that the offences under which his client has been booked are bailable.
He also raised the issue of court`s jurisdiction to adjudicate the case, saying CMM Vidya Prakash had earlier declined to hear the bail plea on the issue and that the same "controversy" is still not sorted out.
"On the basis of the FIR, bailable offence is there in it. No notice should be given (to police). Dabas is in judicial custody since February 20. Today again, there is controversy that whether this man (Dabas) will be sent to judicial custody. Issue of jurisdiction is also there," Khan said.
On this, the judge asked the investigating officer (IO) as to how he had produced the accused persons before him. The IO said he had enquired from CMM Prakash about it today and he was asked by the court at Tis Hazari to take the accused before the CMM at Patiala house Courts complex.
The jurisdictional issue had cropped up as the Delhi High Court has divided Delhi into 11 Metropolitan zones from March 1 this year and each zone will have a separate CMM.
Earlier, the city was divided into nine revenue districts and there was only one CMM who was dealing with the cases of Special Cell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27