Jaitley CDR row: Court extends JC of 4, constable seeks bail
New Delhi: A court here on Wednesday issued notice to Delhi Police seeking its response by tomorrow on a bail plea of a policeman arrested along with three others for allegedly illegally retrieving call details of BJP leader Arun Jaitley.
Constable Arvind Dabas moved his bail plea before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Amit Bansal who also extended the judicial custody of all the four accused till March 20 after the Special Cell of Delhi Police said their probe into the case was on.
"All the accused persons are remanded in judicial custody till March 20," the CMM said and extended the judicial custody of constable Dabas and three private detectives -- Anurag, who is alleged to be the main conspirator, Neeraj and Nitish.
During the hearing, advocate Naushad Ahmad Khan, appearing for Dabas, moved the bail application saying that the offences under which his client has been booked are bailable.
He also raised the issue of court`s jurisdiction to adjudicate the case, saying CMM Vidya Prakash had earlier declined to hear the bail plea on the issue and that the same "controversy" is still not sorted out.
"On the basis of the FIR, bailable offence is there in it. No notice should be given (to police). Dabas is in judicial custody since February 20. Today again, there is controversy that whether this man (Dabas) will be sent to judicial custody. Issue of jurisdiction is also there," Khan said.
On this, the judge asked the investigating officer (IO) as to how he had produced the accused persons before him. The IO said he had enquired from CMM Prakash about it today and he was asked by the court at Tis Hazari to take the accused before the CMM at Patiala house Courts complex.
The jurisdictional issue had cropped up as the Delhi High Court has divided Delhi into 11 Metropolitan zones from March 1 this year and each zone will have a separate CMM.
Earlier, the city was divided into nine revenue districts and there was only one CMM who was dealing with the cases of Special Cell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi