Jaitley disagrees with SC opinion on Guj Lokayukta appointment
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley today said he "seriously disagrees" with the opinion of the Supreme Court on the appointment of the Gujarat Lokayukta and cautioned that courts may use this as a predecent in Lokpal`s selection as well.
"As a part of India`s legislative and political process, I seriously disagree with the observations of the Supreme Court. The Act framed by the legislature does not give any primacy to the opinion of the Chief Justice," Jaitley said in an article released by BJP.
The Supreme Court had upheld the appointment of Justice (retd.) R A Mehta as the Gujarat Lokayukta though Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his Council of Ministers had opposed it. The apex court accepted the Governor`s contention that the High Court Chief Justice was consulted.
BJP has expressed strong objection to the decision.
"The fact that the Chief Justice is an independent constitutional authority does not imply that the Chief Minister or Leader of the Opposition has no constitutional or statutory role particularly when the power to be exercised is an executive function and not a judicial one," Jaitley said.
The BJP leader claimed this decision will have a direct impact on the constitution of the Lokpal. The Rajya Sabha Select Committee on Lokpal has recommended a collegium to choose the ombudsman. It consists of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court as well.
"If the present reasoning of the Supreme Court is correct, the Prime Minister, the Speaker of the Lok Sabha, the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha and an eminent jurist will be silent spectators on the collegium because the opinion of the Chief Justice of India would get primacy and exclusivity for the appointment of the chairperson and members of the Lokpal," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail