Jaitley disagrees with SC opinion on Guj Lokayukta appointment
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley today said he "seriously disagrees" with the opinion of the Supreme Court on the appointment of the Gujarat Lokayukta and cautioned that courts may use this as a predecent in Lokpal`s selection as well.
"As a part of India`s legislative and political process, I seriously disagree with the observations of the Supreme Court. The Act framed by the legislature does not give any primacy to the opinion of the Chief Justice," Jaitley said in an article released by BJP.
The Supreme Court had upheld the appointment of Justice (retd.) R A Mehta as the Gujarat Lokayukta though Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his Council of Ministers had opposed it. The apex court accepted the Governor`s contention that the High Court Chief Justice was consulted.
BJP has expressed strong objection to the decision.
"The fact that the Chief Justice is an independent constitutional authority does not imply that the Chief Minister or Leader of the Opposition has no constitutional or statutory role particularly when the power to be exercised is an executive function and not a judicial one," Jaitley said.
The BJP leader claimed this decision will have a direct impact on the constitution of the Lokpal. The Rajya Sabha Select Committee on Lokpal has recommended a collegium to choose the ombudsman. It consists of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court as well.
"If the present reasoning of the Supreme Court is correct, the Prime Minister, the Speaker of the Lok Sabha, the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha and an eminent jurist will be silent spectators on the collegium because the opinion of the Chief Justice of India would get primacy and exclusivity for the appointment of the chairperson and members of the Lokpal," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read