Jaitley, Karan Singh, Sharad Yadav to get awards
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee will give away outstanding Parliamentarian Award` to senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley, Congress veteran Karan Singh and Janata Dal (United) chief Sharad Yadav on Tuesday at a function.
Jaitley, who is Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha, gets the award for the year 2010, Karan Singh for 2011 and Sharad Yadav for 2012.
The announcement regarding their selection for the award was made way back in March last year.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, who is Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, and Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, who chairs the Indian Parliamentary Group, will grace the occassion and Prime Minister Narendra Modi will also be present.
Jaitley, Karan Singh and Sharad Yadav are currenlty members of Rajya Sabha.
When selected for the award, Yadav was a Lok Sabha member from Madhepura, Bihar. Jaitley and Singh are members of the Upper House from Gujarat and Delhi respectively.
The Indian Parliamentary Group had instituted the award in 1994.
The then Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar had constituted an award committee to select the member for the award for the three years.
The executive committee of the group had unanimously accepted the recommendation of the award committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details