Jaitley repaying Modi`s debt by attacking Katju: Digvijay Singh
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Moday hit out at Arun Jaitley for criticising Press Council of India chief Justice Markandey Katju, saying that the senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) functionary is repaying Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s debt by attacking Katju.
"I am extremely surprised by the statement of Arun Jaitley who has been one of the leading political leader of the country. The kind of statement that he has made against Justice Katju is highly condemnable. Justice Katju is a man who has been an outstanding judge in the Supreme Court and the High Court and he has been always been impartial. All his life Katju has been unbiased," Singh told media here.
"Why did Arun Jaitley keep quiet when Katju brought out issues against CMs of Maharashtra and Himachal Pradesh, against the home ministry in case of the arrest of Iftekhar Geelani, he kept quiet on those occasions. He has given the statement just because Justice Katju has raised the developmental issue of Gujarat," he added.
Singh further said that the Leader of the Opposition was "repaying the debt" to Modi for giving him a seat in Rajya Sabha.
"Is it because he owes Narendra Modi for his Rajya Sabha seat, which he needs to defend him," he added.
In an article posted on the BJP`s official website, Jaitley has written that Justice Katju`s attacks on non-Congress state governments seem like ``a thanksgiving to those who gave him a post-retirement job.``
Demanding Katju`s resignation as PCI Chairman, Jaitley said that he appears to be more Congress than the Congress party itself.
Reacting to Jaitley`s charges, Justice Katju said: "Jaitley should resign from his post and quit politics, he is not cut out for politics. He has totally twisted the facts and accused me of not criticising Congress governments, which is not true."
"I have criticised congress governments also, I had criticised the Maharashtra Government and written a letter to the Chief Minister after the arrest of the girl, who has written something on Facebook. I had criticised the Himachal Government also. But, he has overlooked everything," said Katju.
"If Jaitley want to go on such a low level, it is his choice, but he must quit politics for the sake of the nation," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried