Jaitley repaying Modi`s debt by attacking Katju: Digvijay Singh
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Moday hit out at Arun Jaitley for criticising Press Council of India chief Justice Markandey Katju, saying that the senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) functionary is repaying Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s debt by attacking Katju.
"I am extremely surprised by the statement of Arun Jaitley who has been one of the leading political leader of the country. The kind of statement that he has made against Justice Katju is highly condemnable. Justice Katju is a man who has been an outstanding judge in the Supreme Court and the High Court and he has been always been impartial. All his life Katju has been unbiased," Singh told media here.
"Why did Arun Jaitley keep quiet when Katju brought out issues against CMs of Maharashtra and Himachal Pradesh, against the home ministry in case of the arrest of Iftekhar Geelani, he kept quiet on those occasions. He has given the statement just because Justice Katju has raised the developmental issue of Gujarat," he added.
Singh further said that the Leader of the Opposition was "repaying the debt" to Modi for giving him a seat in Rajya Sabha.
"Is it because he owes Narendra Modi for his Rajya Sabha seat, which he needs to defend him," he added.
In an article posted on the BJP`s official website, Jaitley has written that Justice Katju`s attacks on non-Congress state governments seem like ``a thanksgiving to those who gave him a post-retirement job.``
Demanding Katju`s resignation as PCI Chairman, Jaitley said that he appears to be more Congress than the Congress party itself.
Reacting to Jaitley`s charges, Justice Katju said: "Jaitley should resign from his post and quit politics, he is not cut out for politics. He has totally twisted the facts and accused me of not criticising Congress governments, which is not true."
"I have criticised congress governments also, I had criticised the Maharashtra Government and written a letter to the Chief Minister after the arrest of the girl, who has written something on Facebook. I had criticised the Himachal Government also. But, he has overlooked everything," said Katju.
"If Jaitley want to go on such a low level, it is his choice, but he must quit politics for the sake of the nation," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi