Jaitley`s phone tapping: Cop named in chargesheet
New Delhi: A constable and three private detectives were named in the chargesheet filed by police in a Delhi court in a case related to the tapping of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley`s phone.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Amit Bansal took cognisance of the chargesheet filed by the special cell of Delhi Police and fixed April 30 for hearing.
Constable Arvind Dabas and three private detectives Anurag, Neeraj and Nitish were named in the 32-page formal set of charges.
All the accused are in judicial custody for the alleged illegal tapping of Jaitley`s phone.
Police charged the accused under Indian Penal Code sections 420 (cheating), 464 (making a false document), 467 (forgery of a valuable security), 468 (forgery for the purpose of cheating) and 471 (using as genuine a forged document) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) and under section 66 of the Information Technology Act.
Along with the chargesheet, another 1,000 pages were filed, naming 36 prosecution witnesses.
The investigating officer (IO) told the court that various forensic reports and records of the mobile service provider were yet to be received.
The court, in its order, said: "The IO has submitted that the report from the FSL, CFSL and mobile service operators is yet to be submitted. The IO is directed to expedite the probe and file the said reports on record at the earliest."
"The IO is already directed to supply the copy of the chargesheet and documents to all the four accused," the court said.
Dabas was arrested Feb 14. He used the official email identity of an assistant commissioner of police to send a request to a mobile service provider for the call detail records of Jaitley, according to police.
Police arrested Neeraj Feb 18 and Anurag and Nitish were arrested Feb 19.
Call detail records of 30 other people were also collected by the four accused. In most of the cases, the internet protocol address of Dabas was used, police told the court earlier.
Counsel of Dabas had claimed that his client was falsely implicated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report