Jama Masjid attack: Police files chargesheet against top IM men
New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar were on Saturday chargesheeted by Delhi Police in connection with the September 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case in which two Taiwani tourists had sustained bullet injuries.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police filed its final report before Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash against the two top IM men under various sections of the IPC including 307 (attempt to murder), 120B (criminal conspiracy) and under the provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Arms Act.
The police claimed in the charge sheet that IM`s Indian chief Yasin Bhatkal was instructed by Pakistan-based handlers to carry out terror attacks just before the beginning of 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) which were held in Delhi.
It said the conspiracy for the attack was hatched to "dissuade foreign nations from participating in the same (CWG) and to portray the image of India, the host nation, as a weak and disturbed nation".
The police said that in pursuance to the conspiracy, Yasin had procured one carbine and one pistol and the initial plan was to target foreign tourists at the German Bakery at Paharganj here.
It further said that in mid 2010, accused Qateel Siddiqui, who had died under mysterious circumstances in Pune Yerawada Jail in 2012, had hurt himself due to accidental firing of the carbine and the plan to strike at German Bakery was aborted.
It said thereafter, Yasin Bhatkal planned to carry out terror strike at the Jama Masjid and on September 19, 2010, IM operatives opened fire at tourists deboarding a bus near gate number 3 of the mosque.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata