Jama Masjid firing: Police detains nearly 30 for questioning
New Delhi: Around 30 people were today
picked up by police for questioning in connection with the
firing at Jama Masjid here in which two foreigners were
A senior police official said they have rounded up 25-30
people who have criminal records and were questioning them to
get some leads into the firing incident, apparently intended
to cause terror ahead of the Commonwealth Games.
Police is also talking to Bobby Sharma, whose car went up
in flames at the spot two hours after the incident. A "poorly
circuited and crudely assembled" device exploded which
resulted in the car catching fire, the official said.
The fire in car was reported nearly two hours after two
unidentified motorcycle-borne attackers shot and injured the
Taiwanese nationals outside the Jama Masjid here.
Delhi Police appeared to be ruling out the role of any
organised terror group but intelligence experts said it could
be a handiwork of outlawed Indian Mujahideen, which was behind
a series of blasts in several cities, including Delhi and
Investigators suspect that disgruntled youths or a gang
of local criminals could be behind the incidents.
The motive appears to be to scare people ahead of the
Commonwealth Games, they said, adding the attacks do not show
signs of involvement of terrorist outfits like Indian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information