Jamia seeks clearance from MEA on doctorate to the Dalai Lama
New Delhi: Jamia Milia Islamia has sought
clearance from Ministry of External Affairs for awarding
an honorary doctorate to Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai
Lama next month.
Vice Chancellor Najeeb Jung today spoke to Foreign
Secretary Nirupama Rao in the backdrop of a media report that
the MEA was blocking the University`s move to honour the Dalai
Lama as it came ahead of the visit of Chinese Premier Wen
Jiabao to India.
"The Vice Chancellor spoke to the Foreign Secretary
today, and the University has written a letter to the Ministry
seeking a review on their stance," Jamia Milia`s media
coordinator Seemi Malhotra told PTI.
The University had plans to award the doctorate to the
Nobel Laureate on November 23, a month ahead of Jiabao`s visit
to India and apparently the Ministry was apprehensive about
"The University is communicating with the Ministry and
we are hoping they would grant us the permission," Malhotra
The programme had been planned for November 23 and
there is still enough time, the official said.
Asked if the University had decided to put off the
ceremony, Vice Chancellor Najeeb Jung said "no", but did not
Asked to comment on the issue at a press briefing, Rao
said the Ministry has taken note of it.
"I have seen the media report... the matter is
receiving our attention," she said, but gave no further
She, however, noted that the Dalai Lama was a very
respectful religious and spiritual figure for millions of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?