J&K Assembly Speaker to summon VK Singh over payoff remarks
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly witnessed uproar on Wednesday over former Army chief VK Singh’s remarks that state ministers used to be paid by the armed forces through secret funds.
Members of the ruling National Conference and the opposition PDP demanded summoning of Singh to the Assembly.
The BJP also demanded the same and supported Assembly Speakers` decision to seek explanation from Singh.
"I will summon him (Singh) very soon," Speaker Mubarak Gul said amidst uproar.
The Speaker however refused to spell out the time-frame for summoning Gen Singh, who had alleged that money was being paid to ministers in Jammu and Kashmir for getting certain jobs done, saying the proper procedure will be followed.
“I will give former Army chief VK Singh an opportunity to explain his position,” the Speaker told agitating members.
The House was meanwhile adjourned sine die.
The Assembly had on Monday passed a unanimous resolution asking the Centre to conduct a thorough and time-bound probe into the charges levelled by the former Army Chief, with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah saying the allegations cannot be dismissed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal