Japanese embassy holds candle-light vigil for quake victims
New Delhi: Indian lawmakers, artistes and
activists on Sunday joined Japanese officials in Delhi to offer
prayers for the victims of the massive earthquake and tsunami
in Japan which claimed more than 1000 lives and rendered over
2.15 lakh homeless.
The vigil saw MPs, journalists, noted activists and
artists express their condolences for the victims of the
calamity, one of the worst disasters in the recent times.
"In this hour of catastrophe, the only thing we can do
is express our condolences. We salute the spirit of Japan for
its effort to rebuild the country with a lot of grit even in
times of grief," said BJP MP Tarun Vijay.
Japan`s north-eastern coast was battered on Friday by
a 8.9 magnitude quake, the largest on record in Japan, and an
ensuing tsunami that washed over hundreds of kilometres of
coastline, causing widespread destruction.
"Japan is experiencing a most serious tragedy now.
Many towns and villages have been swept away, lives have been
lost, people are still missing. We have evacuated close to
400,000 people to date," Akitaka Saiki, Japanese envoy to
He said the Japanese Government was trying its best to
cope with the natural calamity and rescue efforts were on to
save those still stranded.
Thanking the international community for joining his
country in the "time of grief," Saiki termed the response by
the international community as "phenomenal."
"We in Japan are deeply touched by the phenomenal
response. At this time of extreme difficulties we are
receiving condolences and assistance of all kind from other
countries. We are still receiving mails and are most
grateful," he said.
Among others present were BSP MP Vijay Bahadur Singh,
BJP MP Rama Jois, noted theatre artiste Amir Raza Hussain and
former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Mukul Miti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door