Japan`s emperor to visit India in November
New Delhi: Japan`s Emperor Akihito will pay a week-long state visit to India starting on November 30. He will be accompanied by his wife, a spokesperson of the Japanese embassy in India said on Tuesday.
"In view of the friendly relations existing between the two countries, the government of Japan has advised their majesties the emperor and empress to pay an official visit to India this year. The itinerary of the visit will be finalised based upon consultations with the Indian government," a decision of the Japanese Cabinet said.
"Their majesties are scheduled to leave Tokyo on November 30, and the duration of the visit will be about one week," it added.
The visit by the Japanese royal couple follows the visit by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (May 27-30) this year for a bilateral summit with Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe.
"Japan has long enjoyed close and cordial relations with India. I am convinced that, through the visit, existing intimate relations of friendship and goodwill with India will be further strengthened, for which I would like to share my immense pleasure with the people of Japan," Abe said in a statement following Tuesday`s announcement of the emperor`s visit.
Attaching importance to ties between Japan and India, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was accorded special treatment in Tokyo during his three-day official visit to Japan.
The emperor and empress of Japan hosted lunch for Manmohan Singh and his wife, Gursharan Kaur, at the Imperial Palace.
"This was very much extra-ordinary," a senior functionary of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe`s office said.
"This is not usual. Their majesties do not host non-heads of states. Technically, the Indian prime minister is not India`s head of state. But in his case, they have done that," he said.
"My wife and I were deeply honoured by the special gesture of their majesties in hosting us," Manmohan Singh said after the lunch with the Japanese royalty.
The Japanese government has also attached a lot of importance to their head of state`s visit to India later this year.
"The proposed visit of the emperor and the empress later this year to India is significant, given their age (which restricts their travel). Nothing indicates more importantly of the significance of the bilateral relationship of both countries," an official added.
In Tokyo, the Japanese prime minister had hosted a private dinner for Manmohan Singh and his wife.
Japanese officials described the dinner meeting as "the most relaxed and casual meeting that Prime Minister Abe had ever since taking over."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead