Jaswant continuing as PAC chief as per rules: Meira
New Delhi: Speculation on the issue of expelled BJP leader Jaswant Singh holding the prestigious post of chairman of Public Accounts Committee continued Wednesday even
as Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar made it clear that rules will be followed on the matter under which no party can seek removal of their candidate from such a post.
"I have not received any letter from BJP as of yet...Let the issue come to me," she said at an interaction with journalists at Indian Women Press Corps here.
Kumar said the Speaker has the discretion to remove the PAC Chairman if he is unable to act but "there are definite rules".
"We follow those rules. The rule says that that if for any reason he or she is unable to act (in the post)...I will have to apply myself. Let it come to me," she said.
The post of the PAC Chairperson generally goes to the senior-most member of the Opposition party.
According to rules, Singh can voluntarily quit from the post but the party cannot seek his removal since the appointment has already been made.
The party cannot ask the Speaker to do anything after the appointment, but the Chairman has the "full freedom" to resign voluntarily.
Late Prime Minister Chandrashekhar was the Chairman of the Ethics Committee and was unwell for long but the then Speaker did not replace him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'